Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Carnavales 2013

"Carnaval" which would be translated to Carnival (Feb 11), is a holiday celebrated across the world, mainly Europe. I am sure there is some actual historic, maybe religious, reason for it all, but I am not the person to come to for historic explanations. For the people of my age group in Spain, it is a weekend of dressing up in crazy costumes, and going out on the town. I went out with a few friends, and met more as the night went on. We went to a few disco's and had a great time. I found that Carnavales here are more like our Haloween. The costumes are a lot of the times cute and fun, I didn't see any scary costumes, or ridiculously funny (I had two friends to dress up like chickens).

The Friday before the Monday of Carnaval, I went shopping for a costume. We walked into the costume shop, which was literally called Party Fiesta, and I was instantly overwhelmed. Costumes flying everywhere, there were so many people I barely had room to breathe. After an hour of GPS and trying to find the right store, I spent two hours searching for the right costume. Ultimately to pick the simplest one I could find. I decided to be a bumble bee, buy a yellow tutu and wings, then add leggings. Easy, and well.. just easy. I was kind of dissapointed in myself for lack of a better idea, but I think overall my first Carnaval was a success.





No comments:

Post a Comment