Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Coming Home

My last twenty four hours in Alexandria, Virginia for ten months... how do you prepare for such a day? How do you know what to do, what to have as your last meals, what to stock up on, how do you know what to feel?  Leaving is something I've never thought about, something I have always just accepted. Up to this point, every vacation, or adventure has been round trip. Coming home is inevitable, because this is where your life is, where you work, go to school, live.

Before I begin to process the future though, I should reminisce on the past. Thank you all for the greatest summer, better yet thank you for the best year of my life. Thank you for all the well wishes, the surprise party, and everyone who has been there for me through this crazy process. This is a year I will never forget, and leaving it behind will just be that much harder, but knowing It will be here when I come home is more than I could ever ask for. Stay in touch!

In one day, I will be on my way to New York meeting tons of kids just like me, leaving everything behind to seek for the adventure and unknown in life. Willing to risk it all, to do something remarkable for themselves. In three days I will be on a long flight to Switzerland, and then finally Madrid, Spain. In Madrid we have another one night orientation, then on Saturday I bus to Ponferrada where I will finally get to meet the Mendez family.

I guess my adventure is once again round trip, but more figuratively than literally. I am leaving home, and coming home. In less than four days, I will be waking up in a new bed, to new people, but this "new life" is mine, and one that will soon just become life. Regular life.

My next post will be from Spain, about my regular life. I think I'm ready.

Twenty four hours and counting.


No comments:

Post a Comment