Friday, November 16, 2012

Home is Where the Heart is

I have begun to realize that home means so much more than where you sleep at night. Home is a place where you are surrounded by people that love you, a place that you are always happy to come back to. Home is where the heart is, and I'm lucky enough to have two places that I will always call home. I could never have imagined feeling this comfortable, and in such a short time. One month with Marta, Alba, and Irene, and I am one hundred percent a part of this family.

And school, while being extremely difficult, I secretly look forward to it. Since the first day, everyone has been nothing but nice to me. Everyone is always so willing to help, to share notes, to correct my Spanish, and to just be really friendly. Today in English we had an oral exam, where we had to stand up in front of the class and talk for a minute. I realized that the girl who sits next to me in class, the one I talk to non-stop everyday is practically fluent in English. I could tell as she was speaking how much she genuinely loved the language. Yet for the past four weeks, she has continually spoken to me in Spanish. Because she knows how important it is for me to learn, and speak with native speakers.

When was the last time you befriended the new kid? I honestly couldn't tell you the last time that I did. And now being in that position, I understand. I understand how hard the first day is, how hard everyday is. Because after a few weeks, even when you still feel new, you start to become part of the crowd. Well, I immediately became part of the class. From the beginning, I felt completely integrated. And I might always be "La Americana", but at least I am that American... with friends.

I guess I realized that you can create friendships no matter where you are, no matter what language you speak, and it isn't that hard. It simply takes a "how are you doing today?" or a "I'll see you tomorrow." And my new friends and family have done so much more than that. I no longer look forward to seeing my friends pictures from the weekend on Facebook, or hearing the latest Alexandria gossip. I no longer feel like I'm missing out on life, because look at what I have right in front of me. I am living my dream, and while I'm at it I am surrounded by people that care about me.

Today I realized that when I think of home, I think of Valladolid.

No comments:

Post a Comment